ATTENTION!!!

ATTENTION!!!! Thanks to all the great support for musicians and bands, SUPPORT KICK ASS MUSIC has moved to a new website!!!
Please GO TO ==>> www.SupportKickAssMusic.com and keep on supporting your favorite KICK ASS artists!!!

Sunday, March 13, 2011

I Don’t Want to Die - Mike Starr's Death Should Be a Warning! - Rockstar Superstar Project

Mike Starr, most known for his contribution as the bassist for the band Alice in Chains and appearances on VH1 Celebrity Rehab died on March 8th 2011. He was just 44 years old.

I didn’t know Mike Starr personally but he and I shared the same story; the story of a powerful addiction to narcotics. We were connected to each other by the means of the same beast. A relentless monster that wants us dead for no good reason at all. The NCADD estimates that there are more than 23 million people in the United States who are addicted to alcohol and other drugs. "That's almost 10 percent of the population," says Robert Lindsey, President of the National Council of Alcoholism and Drug Dependence. That’s 23 million people who I can relate to. Twenty-three million people that struggle with the same thing that killed Mike Starr and that nearly killed me.

Addiction is a disease. It is fatal if untreated. It is like a cancer. It is like heart disease. It is real and if not diligently treated is out to destroy all those that surround it. It doesn’t care about you, your friends or family. Its mission is destroying all in its wake.

Mike Starr's Death is a warning and for me it was heard loud and clear. His death serves as a reminder that no matter what, you can never be working too hard on your recovery. Almost 20 million people are living in recovery today and I am one of them. I wake up to the grind of knowing I have this monster that wants to destroy my hopes and dreams and damage my relationships with my friends and family. Having this to face every day is grueling but it’s an absolute must that I face it head on; for if I let my guard down for one second, it will destroy all that I am.

Mike Starr was in and out of using. His thinking that he could control his use was his ultimate downfall. He had never found true recovery because if he had he’d still be with us today. This didn’t make him weak. This just made him someone who didn’t find his way through the darkness and into the opportunity of recovery. He struggled to find the courage to fight for it bad enough.



I want to live and I want to maintain the peace I have found in recovery for the rest of my life.

Robert J. Lindsey said “There's hope, there's help, and there's healing.” He is right. As I type this I feel a tremendous sense of hope for my future. I worked hard to build a strong support system because I wanted to stand a chance against the onslaught of my disease. And healing for me and all those that surround me has indeed begun.


If you or someone you know is struggling with alcohol or other drugs, please visit NCADD's website for information on how to get help.

Got a question for me? Click on the Ask Super Star tab above!
 
About me: I am Super Star Yes, that is my legal name. I have earned that name by accomplishing what many people would consider impossible – I chose to stay sober one day at a time. I left the crack houses to mingle with Hollywood’s elite, ending up working with all of my childhood musical heroes and have discovered my purpose in life after surviving an almost 15-year battle with the disease of addiction.

I am a former computer consultant turned recording artist, anti-drug campaigner, author, professional speaker, director of a non-profit, sober companion and advocate. I run a blog dedicated to topics of substance use disorder, recovery, and issues specific to teens. I have recently penned the much anticipated book titled The First 30 Days to Serenity which can be ordered by clicking HERE.

I am also a musician who recorded Serenity, a first-of-its-kind CD created in conjunction with my twin brother, Rock Star solely to combat addiction. It was produced by a Grammy-winning producer and features many of our musical heroes, who have come together to help us tell our story in an effort to help others through their own addiction struggles. Guests on our CD include current and former members of the bands Kiss, Heart, The Goo Goo Dolls, Dokken, Trans-Siberian Orchestra as well as many more. It rocks – musically and inspirationally and can be purchased HERE!

This journey has led to the creation of Rockstar Superstar Project. The RSSS mission is to spread awareness of the disease of addiction and decrease the social stigma still associated with it. Our goal is that through our efforts others will have opportunities for those necessary conversations about the impact of substance use disorder and see that there is a light out of the darkness; that there is HOPE. The RSSS brand is synonymous with sobriety and making responsible choices. We want people to know you don’t need to party or use drugs to be a “star”. Everyone deserves to learn the tools to be the best they can be and to realize their dreams. RSSS is committed to conveying this message especially to America’s youth!

Choosing a sober path is the only way to become a Super Star.




1 comment:

  1. This is a pathetic example of THE CULT using the tragic death of one of it's victims as a reason to feel good about themselves. Pathetic and disgraceful. Mike Starr deserves way better.

    He died because he was LIED TO by weak suck pukes LIKE YOU! Powerlessness is A LIE. *shakes head in DISGUST.

    ReplyDelete